The largest Cuban province, with coasts on the north and south. It has top quality beaches like Santa Lucía, next to which we find the largest coral reef of the largest island in The Antilles. A fairy-tale cay that continues to be the refuge of birds and turtles, and the prodigal nature of Cubitas Mountain Range, are two other attractions.
The provincial capital, founded in 1514 as Santa María del Puerto del Príncipe, occupies its present site since 1528. Its streets are narrow and it has kept its original colonial appearance almost intact, with a 300-hectare historical central area that is a fiesta of large earthenware jars, tiles and walls of fired bricks, which give it a coppery shade, typical of its own past marked by clay.
With houses perfectly preserved since the early years of the town, Camagüey is also known for the large number of religious buildings it has, among which the Cathedral, and the Carmen and Santa Ana churches stand out, all of them part of an important central area that has been declared a National Monument and which is also the largest in the country.